Nevada Food Stamps


In Nevada, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is administered by the Department of Health and Human Services’ Division of Welfare and Supportive Services. The program is designed to help low-income people and families buy the food they need to meet their basic nutritional needs. Before receiving SNAP benefits, you must first make sure you’re eligible. The best way to do this is to use the USDA’s pre-screening tool. It is not an application for SNAP benefits, but it can help you determine whether you’re eligible to receive them.

The next step is to apply for food stamp benefits. Nevada residents can apply for food stamp benefits online.If you do not want to apply online, you can download the application and print it. You must submit the application via mail or fax or drop it off in person at your local Welfare Office. After your application is submitted, you will be scheduled for an interview. At your interview you will speak to a caseworker about the program rules. You must also bring documents verifying your identity, residency and financial situation.

After the interview, the Welfare Office will notify you by mail of your status. If you’re approved, you will know the amount of monthly SNAP benefits you will receive and how long you will receive them before you must re-apply. SNAP benefits are distributed through the EBT card. You will receive the EBT card within 30 days from the date you submit your application. Use your EBT card like any debit card; simply swipe at the register and enter your four-digit PIN to make food purchases.


1. Can I receive benefits quicker than 30 days?

Yes. If your household has little or no money and needs help right away, the Welfare Office may declare you eligible to receive SNAP benefits within seven business days.

2. What income limits are there?

A full breakdown of the income limits for SNAP benefits is available online.

3. If I receive SNAP benefits can I qualify for other food programs?

Yes. SNAP clients are eligible to receive additional food through the USDA State Food Distribution Program. Contact your Welfare Office for more information.

4. What should I do if my EBT card is lost or stolen?

If your EBT card is lost or stolen, call 1-866-281-2443 to have it cancelled and/or request a new one.

5. Are there items that I cannot buy with SNAP benefits?

Yes. Federal law prohibits you from buying alcohol, tobacco, household items, vitamins and medicines, pet food and hot foods with food stamp benefits.

Contact: Nevada Food Stamps.