Maryland Food Stamps

In Maryland, the Food Supplement Program (FSP) is administered by the Department of Human Resources. The program is designed to help low-income households buy the food they need to meet their basic nutritional needs. There are some eligibility requirements that must be met, but in Maryland, assets and resources are not factored as heavily as in other states. A guideline to income limits is available here.

The next step is to apply for food stamp benefits. In the state of Maryland, you have several application options. You can apply in person at a local DHR office. Alternatively, you can fill out the application and mail or fax it to an office. However, the easiest method is to apply online. Simply log on to their website to get started on applying for food stamp benefits.

Should you qualify for food stamp benefits, you should receive them within 30 days. The benefits are issued through the EBT system. In Maryland, the EBT card is referred to as the Independence Card. You will be issued an Independence Card, and you can use it like a debit card to make food purchases. Benefits are distributed from the sixth to the 15th of the month depending on your last name.


1. Do I have to wait 30 days to receive benefits?

In special cases, you may qualify for expedited benefits. In that case, you can receive benefits within seven days from applying.

2. Do I have to use all my benefits every month?

No. However, your benefits will be removed from your account if there has not been any activity in the past 90 days.

3. How do I check my EBT account balance?

Simply log on to their site to check your account balance and transaction history.

4. What should I do if I my Independence Card is lost or stolen?

If your Independence Card is lost or stolen, of if your PIN has been compromised, you should call Customer Service immediately at 1-800-997-2222.

5. Are there items that I cannot buy with SNAP benefits?

Yes. Federal law prohibits you from buying alcohol, tobacco, household items, vitamins and medicines, pet food and hot foods with food stamp benefits.

Contact: Maryland Food Stamps.