Kansas Food Stamps


In Kansas, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is administered by the Department for Children and Families’ Economic & Employment Services division. The program provides food assistance benefits to low-income households so they can meet their nutritional needs. The Kansas Food Assistance Program provides monthly benefits via a Vison card, which is similar to any debit card. In order to receive benefits, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. Most able-bodied adults must work to receive benefits. There are also income limit eligibility requirements. You can have up to $2,000 in resources, and up to $3,250 if someone in your household is disabled or is over the age of 60.

The next step in receiving benefits is applying. Applications are available at your local DCF Service Center. An even easier way to apply for food stamp benefits is to go online at www.dcf.ks.gov. Once your application is submitted, you will be contacted for an interview. At the interview, you will need to provide documents verifying your identity, residency and financial situation. If you are approved for food stamp benefits, you will receive a Vision card. Your benefits are loaded on your account monthly, and you use the card like any debit card to purchase eligible food items. Simply swipe at the register and enter your four-digit PIN.


1. How can I check my EBT account balance?

To check your EBT account balance, simply log on to their website and enter your account information. You can also check your balance over the phone by calling 1-800-997-6666.

2. How long does it take to get food stamp benefits?

You may be able to get benefits in as little as seven days. In general, your application will be processed within 30 days.

3. How long can I have assistance?

There are no time limits to how long you can receive food stamp benefits as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

4. What happens if I don’t use my food stamp benefits?

Unused monthly food benefits will remain on your Vision account for 12 months.

5. Are there items that I cannot buy with SNAP benefits?

Yes. Federal law prohibits you from buying alcohol, tobacco, household items, vitamins and medicines, pet food and hot foods with food stamp benefits.

Contact: Kansas Food Stamps.