Indiana Food Stamps

In Indiana, the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) is administered by the Family and Social Services Administration. The program is designed to provide assistance to low-income and no-income people and families to purchase food. The FSSA is responsible for ensuring federal regulations are implemented and applied to SNAP. There are several eligibility requirements to participate in SNAP. First, you must be a resident of the state of Indiana. Additionally, there are financial requirements, including a maximum asset limit of $2,000 per household and $3,250 for a household with a member who is disabled or age 60 or older.

The next step in obtaining food stamp benefits is applying. The state of Indiana provides an online application. Simply log on to their website. to get started on the application. Here, you can also use the pre-screening to get a jump start on ensuring you are eligible. You also have the option of printing the application and turning it in at a local DFR office.  You can locate your nearest DFR office by visiting their site.

Once you have completed the application process, go through the interview and are approved for food stamp benefits, you will receive an EBT card. The Hoosier Works EBT card is similar to standard debit and ATM cards. You must use a four-digit PIN to make purchases. The Hoosier Works Card never expires, even if you no longer receive benefits.


1. What should I do if I forget my PIN?

If you forget your PIN, you can select a new one by calling the EBT Customer Service line at 1-877-768-5098. You do not need your old PIN in order to create a new one.

2. When will I get my benefits?

Food benefits are added to your account on one of the first 10 days of the month, depending on the first letter of your last name. A full breakdown of the dates of issuance is available online.

3. Can I receive SNAP benefits if I am on unemployment?

Yes. People who are on unemployment may still qualify for SNAP benefits.

4. Can a student get SNAP benefits?

A student must meet certain criteria to receive benefits. They must work 20 hours a week, be responsible for a child 6 years or younger, be a single parent with a child under 12, participate in a higher education funded by Workforce Investment Act, receive TANF benefits or participate in a work and training program.

5. Who should I contact if I have questions about my case or benefits?

You may call the Division of Family Resources at 1-800-403-0864 should you encounter any issues.

Contact: Indiana Food Stamps.