Hawaii Food Stamps

The Hawaii Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is administered through the Department of Human Services’ Benefit, Employment & Support Services division. This program helps supplement food budgets for low-income working families and individuals, as well as seniors and people with disabilities. In 2012 alone, over 90,000 families in Hawaii received SNAP benefits each month. In order to be eligible for food stamp benefits, you must be a U.S. citizen and meet certain income requirements. The next step to receiving food stamp benefits is to apply. Simply download, print and fill out the standard benefits application form. Once you’ve completed that step, you must turn in your application at a local benefits office. A list of statewide offices is available here.

Once your application is submitted, an intake worker will review your application package—which must include documentation verifying your residency and financial situation—to determine if you qualify for food stamp benefits. If you are ruled eligible, the worker will assign you to one of three eligibility standards. A detailed outline of the income levels is available here. Your SNAP benefits will be posted to your EBT account. The EBT system utilizes a debit card that allows recipients to make purchases at many grocery stores and other participating retailers. Benefits are loaded each month based on the first letter of the recipient’s last name. Those with last names beginning with the letters A-I are available on the third calendar day of each month, while those with the letters J-Z are available on the fifth calendar day.


1. How can I check my EBT account balance?

To check your account balance, as well as transaction history, simply log onto their website and enter your card and PIN information.

2. Where can I find information about maximum income levels?

For a detailed outline of maximum income levels based on household size, click here.

3. What should I do if my situation changes?

Should you have any changes in regards to income, the number of people living in your home, a change of address or another circumstance, you must contact your case worker within 10 days.

4. How do I contact someone about problems with my EBT account?

The easiest way to get in contact about your EBT account is to call toll-free at 1-888-328-4292.

5. Are there any work requirements in order to receive SNAP benefits?

Yes. In general, most able-bodied adult applicants must work in order to receive food stamp benefits.

Contact: Hawaii Food Stamps.