Colorado Food Stamps

The Colorado Food Assistance Program is administered through the state’s Department of Human Services. As with all states, there are some basic rules and eligibility requirements that must be verified. In order to receive food stamp benefits in Colorado, you must be a U.S. resident and provide verification of income. There are particular limits per household. There are also limits to your monthly benefit amount, should you qualify.

To apply for food stamp benefits, you can pick up an application at your local County Department of Human or Social Services office, download the application or apply online. If you fill out the print application, you can return it to your local Food Assistance office via mail, fax or in person. Once your application is submitted, you need to make an appointment for an interview. You should bring examples of verification, including: birth certificate, drivers license, pay stubs, rental agreement and utility bills. At the interview, you must present these documents, and should you be approved, you will get a notice in the mail explaining the duration and amount of food assistance benefits you will receive.

In Colorado, food assistance benefits are distributed through the Colorado Quest card. This EBT account acts as a debit account for your benefits. To use the card, you simply swipe at the register and enter your unique PIN. Your benefits will be deposited into your Colorado Quest account on the same day each month.


1. Can I get food assistance if I am a student?

    • Most students who are enrolled in college or other higher-education institutions at least half-time are not eligible for food assistance benefits. Some students may be eligible if they:
    • Get public assistance benefits under Title IV-A Program
    • Take part in a state or federally financed work-study program
    • Work at least 20 hours a week
    • Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6
    •  Are a single parent enrolled full-time in college and are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12

2. Can I get food assistance if I live with my parents?

Anyone under the age of 22 who lives with their parent(s) cannot receive separate food assistance benefits.

3. How long does it take to get food assistance benefits?

If you qualify, you will receive benefits no later than 30 days from the date you submitted your application.  In some cases, you may be eligible to receive expedited benefits within seven days.

4. How can I check the balance on my EBT card?

To check the balance of your EBT account, simply log on to and enter  your information.

5. What do I do if my EBT card is lost or stolen?

If your EBT card is lost or stolen, call Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 or contact your Food Assistance office.

Contact: Colorado Food Stamp Website