1. How many Americans are on food stamps?
Recent statistics show that 46.7 million Americans are on food stamps as of January 2014.
2. What income requirements are there to receive food stamps?
Households may have no more than $2,000 in countable resources. Additionally, the gross monthly income of most households must be 130 percent or less of the federal poverty line ($2,297 for a family of four).
3. What items are prohibited under SNAP (food stamps)?
You cannot use food stamps to buy any of the following:
4. Is there a time limit to how long you can receive food stamps?
No. As long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements, you can receive food assistance benefits.
5. How do I apply for SNAP benefits?
You must apply for benefits via a local SNAP office. Each state has its own application form, and many states have an online application process.